The Russian Arbitration Day conference will take place on 29 May 2014 in the Congress hall of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation. CIS Arbitration Forum is an information partner if the event.
The conference promotes the development of international arbitration on post-Soviet territory. Both the conference format and a strict reporters’ selection procedure serve this purpose.
Key topics of the Russian Arbitration Day 2014:
• Legislative reforms in the international arbitration sphere;
• Current problems of arbitration;
• Procedural issues in arbitration.
• N.G. Vilkova, Doctor of Laws, Professor of the All-Russia Academy of Foreign Trade, member of Presidium of the International Commercial Arbitration Court (ICAC);
• А.А. Kostin, Chairman of the ICAC and the Maritime Arbitration Commission (MAC), Professor and head of the chair of private international and civil law of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (University) of the Ministry of Foreign Relations of Russia;
• Christoph Liebscher, Doctor of Laws, partner and head of the arbitration practice of WolfTheiss firm, lecturer of the University of Salzburg, FCIArb (Vienna);
• Dominic Pellew, solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales, partner of the London office of Dentons (London);
• Noah Rubins, partner of the international arbitration group of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP (Paris);
• James Hosking, partner of Chaffetz Lindsey LLP, Associate Professor of the law department of the University of Pennsylvania, member of the working group for preparation of amendments to the rules of ААА/IDRC (New York).
• R.M. Khodykin, LL.M. in Law, partner of the London office of Berwin Leighton Paisner;
• А.I. Muranov, LL.M. in Law, Associate Professor of the chair of Private International and Civil Law of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations, managing partner of Muranov, Chernyakov & Partners law firm, arbitrator of the ICAC and the MAC;
• А.V. Asoskov, Doctor of Laws, Associate Professor of the chair of civil law of the law department of the Lomonosov Moscow State University, professor of the Russian School of Private Law, arbitrator of the ICAC.
Topics for discussion at the Russian Arbitration Day 2014:
• Amendments to the Russian legislation on arbitration courts have already provoked heated debates. At the Russian Arbitration Day 2014 it is planned to take a close look at the global changes and discuss to what extent the Russian reforms comply with them. In particular, Dominic Pellew, solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales and partner of the London office of Dentons, will make a report “Russian Legislative Reforms in the Arbitration Field: the View of a Foreign Specialist.”
• The legislation on arbitration and the arbitration rules at Vienna Economic Chamber have recently been amended in Austria. Are the Austrian amendments and the present-day legislative reforms in Russia similar? This will be the focus of the speech of Christoph Liebscher, partner of Vienna office of WolfTheiss, lecturer of the “international arbitration” course in the University of Salzburg.
• In 2013 the International Dispute Resolution Center / the American Arbitration Association (IDRC/AAA) made a revolutionary amendment to its rules, that is, the appeal procedure against an arbitral award was introduced. Though this procedure is applied in the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in Washington, IDRC/AAA are among the first to introduce similar procedure for commercial arbitration. Will it be a new trend? Should Russian arbitrations follow this example? The report will be given by the co-author of the said amendments to the rules – James Hosking, one of the partners-founders of Chaffetz Lindsey LLP law firm, the co-author of the Comments on IDRC/AAA rules — A Guide to the ICDR International Arbitration Rules (Oxford University Press, 2011), Associate Professor of the law department of the University of Pennsylvania.
Participation in the conference is free for all delegates. The conference sponsors are Muranov, Chernyakov & Partners, Berwin Leighton Paisner / Goltsblat BLP, Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners, Watson Farley Williams.
For registration as a delegate please fill in the registration form at the conference website. More detailed information is available on the event web site and Facebook.
In case of any questions about the registration please contact Ekaterina Tkachenko, tel.: +7 495 783 7450.
If you would like to receive our legal alerts and updates highlighting current legal issues relevant to your areas of interest and providing expert commentary by our lawyers, please click on "Sign Up" and fill out the form.