Change of responsibilities for Rostekhnadzor, Rosprirodnadzor and Minprirodi.
Legal Update No. 187
Goltsblat BLP advises that, pursuant to RF Government Resolution No. 717 dated 13 September 2010, the Federal Service for Environmental, Technological and Atomic Supervision (Rostekhnadzor) is once again subordinate to the Russian Government. In addition to control and supervision, this service is now responsible for development and implementation of state policy and regulation in the specified sphere and in that of technological and atomic supervision.
Rostekhnadzor retains the power to grant radioactive emission and discharge permits, set maximum permissible emission limits for radioactive substances into the atmosphere and permissible limits for discharge of radioactive substances into water bodies.
The powers of the Ministry for Natural Resources and the Environment of the Russian Federation in this sphere are reduced considerably.
At the same time, responsibilities and powers have been reallocated between Rostekhnadzor and the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Natural Resource Use (Rosprirodnadzor). Rosprirodnadzor received the powers previously held by Rostekhnadzor in the spheres of environmental protection with regard to limitation of the negative man-made impact, waste management (except for radioactive waste) and state environmental expert review:
1) to issue licences (permits) for emissions and discharges of pollutants into the environment (except for radioactive substances), and for harmful physical impact on the atmosphere;
2) to carry out state accounting of facilities causing a negative impact on the environment and a harmful impact on the atmosphere;
3) to license collection, use, decontamination, transportation and disposal of classes I-IV hazardous waste;
4) to issue licences (permits) for cross-border movement of waste, ozone depleting substances and products containing these substances, for import into and export from the Russian Federation and transit across the territory of the Russian Federation of poisonous substances, and for creation of waste disposal facilities within its terms of reference;
5) to approve standards for waste generation and limits for its disposal;
6) to maintain the state cadastre of waste and state accounting in the sphere of waste management, issue passports for classes I-IV hazardous waste;
7) to organise and hold, in the manner established by the legislation of the Russian Federation, state environmental expert reviews at the federal level.
Rosprirodnadzor is also empowered to establish standards for emissions of pollutants into the the atmosphere.
Elena Barinova,Partner,Real Estate Investment and Finance,Goltsblat BLP;
T: +7 (495) 287 44 44,
If you would like to receive our legal alerts and updates highlighting current legal issues relevant to your areas of interest and providing expert commentary by our lawyers, please click on "Sign Up" and fill out the form.